where to to tie in? [RE-wrenches]

Mo Rousso mrousso at heliopower.com
Wed Mar 9 14:00:06 PST 2005

Get both the PlayStation2 and Game Cube for Free! Click here to
find out how.
http://click.topica.com/caadeMkbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Consumer Research

Hi Marco,

We just finished doing a 60kW system on a local water utility.  We too used
distributed Sunny Boys for a 208V-3ph system.

We are required to use a production meter in addition to the utility meter.
The production meter also needs to have a disco on either side of it, one
acting as the utility visible disconnect.  We did a line tap on the load
side of the utility meter, pretty easy to do.

Mo

On 3/5/05 11:24 AM, "David Blittersdorf" <davidb at nrgsystems.com> wrote:

> Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
> Is your computer freezing up or slowing down?
> Repair corrupt files and harmful errors - protect your PC Take a
> 2-minute PC health check-up at no charge!
> http://click.topica.com/caadfAebz8Qcsa9DY2Za/PC Powerscan
>
> We just installed 72 kw of PV on our new building. We have 32 kw on 15
> Zomeworks trackers and 40kw on the roof and window awning. Total of 32
> Sunnyboy 2500 inverters on single phase, 208 vac. Our building is 208, 3
> phase at 200 amps. All the inverters feed 2 separate breakers at a four
> meter MeterPack at the utility meter location. Wiring on the AC side was
> easy as it is 3 phase, 208 vac. We have a 45kw propane automatic backup
> generator that can run our whole building during a normal work day. It is
> connected so it takes over the building and the PV is on the grid side.
>
> I am sold on a distributed inverter design and since start up last June we
> have had not a single failure. I love the high voltage string inverter design.
> single inverter is scary to me.
>
> David Blittersdorf
>
> On 4 Mar 2005 at 18:04, Marco Mangelsdorf wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on a proposal for a 80 kW array and am trying to determine the
>> appropriate spot for the utility tie-in.  The best spot appears to be the
>> 800A main service disco.  The rating of the panel where the 800A breaker is
>> 1200A.  So, the max input amperage from the PV system can be 400 so as not to
>> overload the busbar.  My question: where to tie in with my, say, 75 kW
>> Ballard
>> output at this 800A disco/1200A panel?  Two choices, right? A hot tap on the
>> line side of the breaker/busbar or on the load side of said breaker.  Any
>> suggestions or directions to appropriate sections of the NEC? Finally, any of
>> youse guys and gals have any experience with the 75 kW Ballard inverter good,
>> bad or ugly?
>>
>> aloha,
>> marco
>>
>> Marco Mangelsdorf
>> President
>> ProVision Technologies, Inc.
>> 69 Railroad Avenue, A-7
>> Hilo, Hawai'i 96720
>> (808) 969-3281, 934-7462 facsimile
>> www.provisiontechnologies.com
>>
> David Blittersdorf
> NRG Systems, Inc.
> 110 Riggs Road
> Hinesburg, VT 05461 USA
> Tel: 802-482-2255
> email: davidb at nrgsystems.com
> Web:http://www.nrgsystems.com
>
> Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
> Need a Laptop? Get a Sony Vaio Laptop Free!
> http://click.topica.com/caadeMjbz8Qcsa9DY2Zf/ProductTestPanel
>
> - - - -
>
> Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
> List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php