outback- off grid communications [RE-wrenches]

Keith Cronin keith at islandenergy.net
Fri Feb 25 11:02:17 PST 2005

Get a FREE* 5 Megapixel Digital Camera - yours to keep!
http://click.topica.com/caadazlbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/5 Megapixel Digital Camera Promotion

Hello

I know the mate has a serial port 232- DB9 for computer interface and a
statement of PC software available in 2002, but I have another question.
With the advent of pooled cellular phone plans today for companies, is it
possible to take one phone out of your pooled plan (for example) @ $9.99 per
month, and connect it with a cable to this interface, and send data on
system performance as well as settings via the phone network?

I am eager to get people from being inquisitive and touching buttons on the
mate. Most people can read manuals and get the codes fairly easily. Even
though you tell them, don't touch it, the have a tendency to. It would be
better to be able to diagnose issues right from your pc or via a fax to
determine system status.

I think this could be a valuable tool for the off grid market as well as a
troubleshooting vehicle. The ride to an off grid job site is sometimes a
long travel. With the advent of inexpensive high speed internet access,
digital photography, and the last mile communications, we would be serving
our customers to the best of our abilities.

I know of a service from a company called telular www.telular.com
<http://www.telular.com/>  , but they are getting $39.95 a month for their
services. I also recognize the phantom loads that could be lurking in the
shadows to drive these systems.

This could also be a small revenue stream for all of our years of commitment
to the industry. I am sure there are a lot more of you on this list doing
off grid stuff, and it would be nice to monitor some folks systems for $9.95
a month or something you deemed fair. It builds value, and essentially, semi
safeguards customers systems and investments.

Thanks for any feedback.

Keith Cronin

President

Island Energy Solutions Inc.