Fridge Vs. Inverter Search [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Tue Feb 22 16:27:08 PST 2005

Would You Like Your Money 2-Day? Get started now! TaxBrain Online.
http://click.topica.com/caac8vpbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/TaxBrain

Hi All;

An astute customer noticed that when ever a separate load (light) pulled
his DR 2424 inverter out of sleep mode, his Kenmore refrigerator (energy
star rated) would go into its frost free mode which apparently takes a lot
of extra power. It would reset to this mode several times a day instead of
the once a day it should. My short answer was to disable sleep mode in the
inverter, because I figured the Kenmore's defrost timer was being reset
every time. What is interesting is that if the fridge itself pulls the
inverter on, it doesn't go into defrost mode. Only when another load does
it.  Anybody else notice this or have any suggestions? I thought of somehow
bypassing the auto defrost timer and instead put the defrost mode on an
external switch that the customer could turn on when needed. The warranty
is out for the fridge anyway, and he's almost ready to buy a different one.

Thanks for your help,

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering, UT Austin 88
Returned US Peace Corps Volunteer

Get both the MiFi XM Satellite Radio and an Apple iPod for Free!
http://click.topica.com/caadazobz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ProductTestPanel

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com