battery cycle life [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 30 14:38:15 PST 2004

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caacVmlbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Sharebuilder

Hey Victor,

Very True.  AND too small and they get hammered by deep cycling and
sulfation and you waste energy to mismatch of source and load.

It depends on so many factors.  On-grid vs off-grid is a world of
difference.  Size and frequency of loads. Gen Size, PV/Wind vs
inverter size and total load,   But in general I see more problems
with too small of a pack off-grid than I do with too  large  one.

Theres no quick and easy rule of thumb here.  You have to run the
numbers and look at your assumptions carefully - how many days
backup?  of what loads?  inputs vs outputs?  etc. etc.  Anybody
installing off-grid packs that have not familiarized themselves with
Peukert's equation, sulfation issues, DOD vs. Lifetime, % full vs
load/charge curves is probably doing their customers and themselves a
disservice.  Read Battery Book One by Curtis instruments.  And sell
battery maintenance service contracts and keep care of them for them!

Peace,

jc

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
gosolar at villagepower.com

530-470-9166
877-SOLARVillage
877-765-2784
425 Nimrod St.
Nevada City, CA 95959

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Get the latest weather,
sports, and lifestyle news you can't afford to miss, all
at a price you can afford to pay!  Click now!
http://click.topica.com/caaa9eYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/TopOffers
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com