high voltage systems without dc discos [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue Dec 14 13:33:32 PST 2004

Win a Lexus RX330! Class and beauty rolled up in an SUV! Drive
your family this winter in style. Make it yours! Click below and
sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl3bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Jerry / Wrenches:

DC disco's are required by Code for all PV systems not just HV ones.
BE careful about the selling points of other inverters re: included DC
disconnect.  In additon to the load break / no load break issue there is
another item to look out for.  I have spoken to both J. Wiles and UL
about his in great length and the DC disconect included in some
inverters DOES NOT meet the code requirement for a DC disconnect.  The
inverter is considered a serviceable item and so you have to be able to
remove the inverter and have the remaining parts of the installation in
a safe manner, i.e. no live wires left.

The AES GC1000 and the new GT3.0 both use a seperate sub-enclosure for
the dc disconnect. This allows the inverter to be removed for service
while still leaving the dc disconnect in place to meet the Code
requirement. This is how it should be done if the DC disconnect is
included in the inverter.  If it was not done this way then you still
need an external disconnect to meet code.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

Wrenches,

A selling point being given to us for the "other"
(sharp, fronius, xantrex) high voltage string
inverters is that we don't need an external high
voltage DC disconnect due to the one being provided on
board the inverter.

While in the process of giving competing quotes when I
know my competitors are specifiying the newer
inverters, I have been tempted to not include a DC
disco to keep my price as low as possible.  But when I
think of the inevitable swap out(s) over the life of
the system, I can't bring myself to jeopardize the
safety of future techs who will be performing the
swaps.  I'm acually ok with the thought of myself
taping off wires and pulling an inverter off the wall.
 The lack of control I have over what others may do
down the line is what bothers me.

Does anyone feel differently?  Are wrenches intalling
high voltage systems without discos?

=====
Jerry Caldwell
NABCEP Certified PV Installer
Light Energy Systems
965 Detroit Ave
Concord, CA 94518

925-680-4343 office
510-205-2798 mobile

**********  Internet E-mail Confidentiality Disclaimer  **********

This e-mail message may contain privileged or confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
view, disclose, use, disseminate, distribute, copy, or rely upon this
message or attachment in any way.  If you received this e-mail
message in error, please return by forwarding the message and
its attachments to the sender and delete the message.

SMA America, Inc. and its affiliates do
not accept liability for any errors, omissions, corruption
or virus in the contents of this message or any attachments that
arise as a result of e-mail transmission.

We can reduce your unsecured credit card debt by 40-60%.
Don’t file bankruptcy.  Be Debt Free in as little as 1 year. Take
control of your situation.  100% FREE Consultation.
http://click.topica.com/caacVlYbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/KnockOutDebt

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com