Battery explosion [RE-wrenches]

Randy Brooks Randy at BrooksSolar.com
Thu Dec 2 15:50:21 PST 2004

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacVmkbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/LeadClick

John,

As I recall it was about an 80 amp hour, sealed lead acid, deep cycle
marine battery (bought at the local marine supply outlet).  The
enclosure was an aluminum box that held the battery and gate controller
circuit board.  It was not air tight.  I recall it had a couple
unscreened vent slots, because I was concerned about insects (yellow
jackets) getting in.  The gate opener was in operation (used regularly)
for about a year.  Then left unused several weeks.  The next attempt at
use, it did not work and the owner opened the box to find the battery
exploded.  An identical opener nearby, with an identical battery, that
had been used regularly, was checked and the sealed battery cap was
removed for inspection.  The battery was dangerously low on
electrolyte.  SunGuards and new batteries were installed in both gate
openers and they have worked flawlessly since (about two years.)

take care,

Randy Brooks
Brooks Solar, Inc.
Solar Power for People