How About a Stock Tank Deicer? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Loesch, Saint Louis Solar bill_loesch at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 12 05:52:24 PST 2004

4 Free Low-Fat recipes
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Nbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

RE-wrenches said:
> It's that time of year.  Getting a few calls on how to keep a stock tank
thawed.  I have a few
>ideas I can share, but I am really looking to you all. Any thoughts?

>Thanks, Jeremy All Solar

Jeremy,

Here in Missouri what I have seen at the farm trade shows (and have heard
mixed results on) is a concrete "basin" with a long vertical tubular
reservoir which goes below (perhaps well below) the frost line to bleed
some ground heat into the basin. Reportedly all goes well until some strong
winds cool off the basin faster than it can bleed heat from the ground
source. Additionally, I'm told the cows are not smart enough to poke their
nose or hove(sp?) through the ice crust to get a drink. Maybe you have
smarter cows there, Jeremy.

Farmer Bill signing off.
Bill Loesch, Solar 1 - Saint Louis Solar

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Sbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com