Battery life cycled [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Roush bruce at solardepot.com
Mon Nov 8 10:51:00 PST 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacOlKbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

William,
In the early days of grid-tied PV systems (circa 1999) many Trace SW
systems went in with flooded batteries (probably beacause that's what
people sold with SW systems).
But on closer inspection, these systems actually perform much more like
backup (UPS) systems and immobilized electrolyte VRLA batteries are much
better suited for that type of performance. The "sealed" batteries
require less maintenance and go in with less health/safety or Inspector
concerns.
Bruce Roush

William Miller wrote:

> At 09:14 PM 11/1/2004, you wrote:
> Daryl:
>
> All of these systems were grid tied SW units with either Trace C40 or
> Pulse
> C60 charge controllers.  The systems with AGM or Gel batteries were set
> bulk at 14.1 per 12 nominal volts.  Those with L-16s were bulking at
> 14.4/12 nominal.
>
> William Miller
>

> >William
> >Do you know why the L16s failed?  Was the charging
> >mechanism the same for the L-16s and the AGMs?
> >What was the system?
> >
> >I have had very mixed results between flooded and AGM.
> >
> >Daryl
> >
> >--- William Miller <wrmiller at slonet.org> wrote:
> >

> > > Friends:
> > >
> > > Of all of the Y2K systems I installed, all of them
> > > with L-16s have recently
> > > been found to have defective batteries and in need
> > > of total
> > > replacement.  Those with the gel and AGM batteries
> > > are still working with
> > > the original batteries.
> > >
> > > William Miller

Get 4 Free low-fat, low-carb recipes