Series fuses/combiner boxes [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Tue Nov 2 09:47:47 PST 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacOlIbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Doug / Wrenches:

When we are discussing when we need or do not need fuses the NEC says
we have to consider the fault current contribution form all sources.
Consider a system with 2 parallel strings (A and B) feeding one
inverter:

If you have a fault in string A the only possible sources of fault
current are String B and the inverter backfeeding the fault.
Assume the inverter does not contribute backfeed current so the falt
current from this potential source is zero.
String A does not contribute backfeed current to a fault in its own
string.
The only other source of fault current remaining is String B.
Per NEC the fault current form String B is 1.56 * Isc.
This is equal to to minimum ampacity of the wire and the minimum size
fuse that can be used in that string.
Since the maximum fault current is less that the minimum required
ampacity of the fuses or wire nothing will happen.
The wire will not melt and the fuse will not open.
This is why the NEC has the exception that allows us to eliminate fuses
all the wire is designed to handle the worst case fault current.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> dwells at solar-works.com 11/2/2004 07:21:34 AM >>>

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacOlKbz8QcsbAs9Tla/OmahaSteaks

Wrenches,
I noticed a case recently where even 2 strings in parallel was in
question.
I was designing a system with Sharp 185's and noticed that the Isc of
two
modules exceeds the 10 amp fuse rating. Interesting.
Doug Wells
Solar Works Inc.