SW feeding back voltage to grid [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Sun Oct 17 23:40:22 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacHOXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Hi William;

I don't often offer advice around here, but I do have some experience with
a similar situation on the SW series inverters.

The problem stems from the neutral and ground being unbonded at the inverter.

When running in stand-alone (no grid support), My SW 2512 will show a
potential of 60 volts or so at the AC1 input when inverting if the ground
and neutral aren't bonded inside the load center connected to the
inverter's input/ouput. Yes, it's more than a static charge, it will
illuminate a 100 watt lamp!

Normally when running grid tied, my inverter's neutral and ground are
unbonded, otherwise the GFCI that the inverter normally plugs into trips. I
always have to remember to install the bonding strap in the load center
when I haul it out to the woods for stand alone/generator AC2 input.

Normally there would be only one bond, in the utility load panel. If the
neutral is switched through the disconnect (??!), then the potential for
unbonding occurs if the only connection between the inverter's neutral and
utility ground are downstream of the disconnect.

Don't know if this is exactly your customer's situation, but it gives you
something else to look for.

-Sharkey

Claim your companion air fare now!
http://click.topica.com/caacJzhbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData