MX60 question [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Tue Sep 21 16:38:43 PDT 2004

Tired of annoying POP-Ups? Get a free Pop-up blocker here!
http://click.topica.com/caacERPbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Bill Brooks wrote:
> Question about overcurrent protection. If you push beyond 120Vdc, will
> your documentation provide alternatives for fusing since the breakers
> are unlikely to reach that rating.

Yes - we are waiting on the 150 vdc approval for the MX60 because of the
issue with the overcurrent protection availability.  The OutBack
breakers we currently offer (C and E frame CarlingSwitch brand) are
approved for 125VDC with an interrupt rating of 5000 amps at this
voltage.  This is far greater current then any PV array I know of can
produce in a fault condition.  In fact the very definition of "open
circuit" means no current flow - so you will never get the combination
of high current and high voltage across the breaker.  There really isn't
many other sources like a PV array which combine high voltages and very
low short circuit currents - which explains why the standards don't
consider a source of power like a PV array.

We recently completed a new ETL approval for the DC breakers we use in
the OutBack combiner boxes (our OBPV series) which is a low interrupt
rating (~200 amps) with a higher DC voltage rating (150 VDC).  We are
hoping to get this low interrupt approval on all of the DC breakers we
use on the PV array side of the MX60 controllers including the GFP
assembly. Stay tuned.

>BTW, I noticed that Bussman's 170Vdc fuse has been UL listed and has
>made it into some Home Depots.

Fuses are okay but never as compact or flexible as circuit breakers.
They also end up being more expensive for most applications.

>I saw them in Hawaii.

I usually try to avoid places like home depot when I am in Hawaii...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com