DC Runs in the Attic [RE-wrenches]

Darryl Thayer daryl_solar at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 19 12:25:00 PDT 2004

HI All
I hope this gets strightened out soon. I have been an
electrican for 45 years and 5 more as an apprentus.
>From my experiance DC likes to arc and burn, I have
also noticed that 480 AC likes to arc and burn.  I
have seen arcs from both in conduits.  Typically the
wire shorts to the conduit and trips a breaker, OR it
will burn itself off, breaking the circuit. OR it will
burn inside the conduit up to the source, and even
into the breaker cabninet and burn it up.  In MY
EXPERIANCE, I have not seen the wire burn through a
conduit wall.  With all I have seen it must be rare.

I think the Code people have addressed this in the
2005 code, and putting PV wire in conduit should be
safe.

Thanks Daryl

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

- - - -