DC Runs in the Attic [RE-wrenches]

Barbra Kerr bkerr at energy-exchange.org
Sat Sep 18 22:24:47 PDT 2004

Do you live vicariously through Reality TV? Let us know and win!
http://click.topica.com/caacDv1bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Mark -

This is now a common requirement in the City and County of San Diego.  I
have met personally with the head of both building departments and their
explanation is this:

Concern for future work by unaware personnel.  The City will allow us to run
DC conduit ONLY 10 feet through the attic space.  They have allowed us to
place the DC disconnect on the roof (i.e. mounting platform or against a
very large chimney), and THEN run as much DC conduit through the attic we
like.  The County on the other hand will allow any amount of DC conduit in
the attic or walls as long as we label it "Photovoltaics - High Voltage DC".
We spray the conduit yellow and label it every 5 feet with black sharpie.
For both jurisdictions, we are required to provide a red site map sign
(plastic) at the AC disconnect indicating location of ALL components.  The
AC disconnect is also labeled as 1 of 2 disconnects, the DC 2 of 2
disconnects.  With all this labeling - anyone that would miss it shouldn't
be on the site!

regards...

Barbra K. Kerr
Kerr Enterprises, Inc