contract terms and liability [RE-wrenches]

Barbra Kerr bkerr at energy-exchange.org
Fri Sep 17 09:34:28 PDT 2004

Are Americans getting fat? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvYbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

Wrenches -

For us we have seen no complaints on output estimates, but have been
surpirsed by a few clients that claim damage was done to property in areas
we were never near.(i.e. Landscape lighting, vegetation).  In response to
the client complaint we investiagte the problem and 2-4 hours later find the
problem and confirm not done by our personnel (an animal had chewed through
it and it was an old break! - this is common.)  The wording in our current
contract indicates all change orders must be in WRITING.  Other instances
include neighbors of the client (tracking housing) that indicated damage had
been done,
once again in areas we never neared, and in the spirit of keeping the
environment neighborly, and our rep excellent we take care of it at no cost
to the client.  What we have decided to do in the future, is when instances
like these do occur we will have the client sign a conditional work order
that basically states that if through further investigation of the complaint
it becomes obvious that damage was not caused by our personnel payment in
full will be made by the homeowner.  It is our experience, that if the
client is willing to sign this statement, then the complaint is sincere -
and not a maneuver to get additional work for free.  Please know that these
clients are few and far between, yet they do remind me of potential losses
and areas of exposure.  This is especially true of roofs.  We had one
project where we placed uni=rac stanchions, indicated to the client the roof
revealed poor installation, especially at the valleys, such that water was
backing up under the flat concrete tiles and saturating the plywood.  By the
way the felt was not overlapped properly either.  This was pointed out to
them as well. They understood, said it had never leaked and asked us to
continue.  We documented with pictures at the time.  Well, it rained hard
and they had leaks at the valleys.  They called ranting and raving.  We
explained again, took up that area of roof and valley and repaired it,
called out an expert witness, who also verified to the client what were
telling them was true.  We have kept and stored the plywood that was removed
in the event of future problems.  The plywood revealed years of leaking -
not just now.  Had we gotten a signed waiver from the client upon first site
of improper installation - this would not have been an issue to be
revisited.  Also, we are changing the contract terms to inlcude verbage to
the same affect.  Sometimes you can't see hidden damage and/or there is NO
attic access.

Another thing we are very seriuosly considering is video taping the entire
site at the intial site visit, upon arrival to install, and upon completion
of the project.  This somethng I am used to doing in my Federal Contracting
days - not on residential/commercial sites.  But, with the delcine is costs
for video cameras it is really starting to make sense.  Also, we can use the
footage for promotional and marketing campaigns with the clients approval.

Just some thoughts to share...

Barbra K. Kerr
President
Kerr Enterprises, Inc