AEI/Beacon M5 Fireworks II [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Sep 8 13:17:11 PDT 2004

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ChildrenInternational

  This is an interesting subject to say the least.

  From my experience in manufacturing all sorts of stuff, virtually
everybody outsources at least some portion of their product and most
companies will go for the cheapest bid from their suppliers.

  It's no secret that most of our inverter manufacturers actually produce
the bulk of their equipment "overseas", not here in the US of A, and that
includes the Good ones!

  The problems with the GC 1000, I believe, were a result of the rush to
come to market in a time when the choices were very limited for grid-tied
anything, and the short-cuts that were taken in order to establish an
industry presence early. I distictly remember that at the time there was a
certain "vibe" (on the phone, at least) of a kind of reserved panic with
several of the employees when asked technical questions.

  People make mistakes when they're in a hurry.

  Most of you will also remember that Trace was producing an even less
reliable product at the time, that made the GC seem like a minor miracle by
comparison! I still have several GC's out there working flawlessly, (and
some that were problems from the get-go) even though they aren't as
efficient at producing power as I'd like to see. Oh well.

  The point is that before the introduction of SMA to the American market,
we didn't actually HAVE a reliable inverter for batterlyless grid tie. Or a
battery based one for that matter.

  Matt T