Driving up the cost to install PV [RE-wrenches]

Michael Welch michael.welch at homepower.com
Fri Sep 3 08:52:53 PDT 2004

Save on inkjet and toner, and get free shipping on orders over $50.
http://click.topica.com/caacBBybz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

Hi Graham and all.

John asked if he could reply, and here it is. This has become a dialog between two folks, so I hope this will put it to rest. I encourage anyone with further questions to contact the principles in this dialog directly.

Graham Owen wrote at 06:51 PM 09/01/2004:

>Dear John Liebendorfer,
>
>I truly appreciate your thoughtful and passionate reply.  First of all I
>regretted sending my seemingly accusatory message, probably seconds
>after pressing the send button.  There are a number good Wrenches who
>monitor this forum, who for whatever reason do not directly participate,
>who called me regarding postings about the current subject matter;
>negative experiences after New Mexico based experts visit local building
>departments. More than one licensed contractor who called mentioned the
>name UniRac. I did attempt due diligence by trying to find a linkage
>between UniRac and New Mexico University engineer employees.  I hope my
>jumping to conclusions upon finding a possible financial link can be
>understood and forgiven.

Graham Owen has hit the nail on the head as to a real problem installers are facing.   There is no question about it; building inspectors are getting more sophisticated, demanding and pro-active on the structural and electrical aspects of PV systems.

I don't accept Graham's contention that there are phantom "experts" running around out there who are advising building departments simply to keep their next pay check coming.    It is in all our interest - installers, manufactures, distributors and homeowners that inspectors be as educated as possible.  Ignorance causes far more problems than knowledge.  UniRac visits inspectors every chance we get - often at the request of installers who are having problems with a building department.  Clearly there are some terrible inspectors out there, but for the most part they are trying to get their arms around a whole new technology and challenges.

The PV industry is booming and evolving quickly.  Installers who are willing meet the challenges inherent in a dynamic industry are going to be very successful.  Those who want to continue doing things the same old way are probably not going to survive. The days are gone when you could slap together a system without any engineering documentation.

UniRac has spent considerable time, energy and money designing installer friendly systems and ensuring our racks meet the required engineering standards.  If there are wrench's out there, as Graham suggests, who think UniRac is creating problems, please call me directly at (505) 242-6411 or e-mail  johnl at unirac.com

John Liebendorfer

Michael Welch

------------------------
"When our children fail competency tests the schools lose funding. When our missiles fail tests, we increase funding."
                  Dennis Kucinich

Michael Welch, michael.welch at homepower.com
     Home Power magazine
     www.homepower.com
     To reach me: 707-822-7884
     To reach Home Power: 800-707-6585

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBEbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/OmahaSteaks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm