MX 60 for wind [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 29 13:35:27 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Hi All,

I look forward to when Outback does have the time
to do a WMX60 and totally understand they need to
focus now on working out the bugs of what they
have in the field.

But I remember a conversation with Chris F. at EO
a few years back where it seemed like the MX60
could be set up in a diversion mode.  In the
interest of having something soon to replace the
EZwire center all I really need is a reliable
diversion controller.  With the Enermaxer no
longer available (and too loud) and the C40 not
being big enough for Whisper 175, I'm at a loss
to know what to use.  I could use two C40s, with
one set slightly higher than the other.  I also
have 35 amps of PV to regulate too however.  I
could put the PVs on a MX60 and then the wind
would be covered by the two C40's but this is
getting expensive.

Any one have any thoughts?  Any other diversion
controllers for 48 VDC in the 100 amp range?
This assumes I can come up with a bridge
rectifier sized right as well.  SWWP wants $1150
for an EZwire for the 175!  Seems like I can do
alot better than that and cheaper too.  Any
thoughts?

Thanks,

Jeff C.
Village Power Design

>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
>You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
>All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
>http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsa9hBZia/411Web
>
>Geoff at Third-Sun.com wrote:
>>"Seeing this marriage work would be a good thing I think...  One of the
>>tricks will be to get the window wide enough... the Bergey in low winds
>>puts out voltage way below nominal 24VDC... that is their "slow boost"
>>circuit...  Can MPPT work two ways?  I've always just paid attention to
>>it's step down ability.  It would be great to have an option to use
>>Bergeys in a 48 v nominal system."
>
>Yes - MPPTs technically can work both ways (bucking down or boosting up)
>- although it makes protecting them from incorrect installs a real
>nightmare.  The low power boost system used in the Bergey is a nice idea
>- but it can be eliminated when using a "WX60" as the nominal output
>voltage of the turbine will be moved up to 100 vdc or so - ensuring that
>the turbine's voltage output will exceed the battery voltage under low
>wind conditions (except maybe for 48 vdc systems with low winds...).
>
>Although this is an exciting area of product development, we only have
>limited engineering resources available to apply to it at the moment.
>Our first priority is to keep our resources focused on increasing
>production quantity, improving product quality and providing good
>customer service.  Adding more product versions and applications while
>growing quickly can really overload a company - we have to keep some
>time for having fun...
>
>Christopher Freitas
>OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
>cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
>www.outbackpower.com
>Arlington WA USA
>Tel 360 435 6030
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee DiscoverÆ Platinum Card
>0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback BonusÆ
>award* Start Saving Today ñ APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
>secure.
>http://click.topica.com/caacpgwbz8Qcsa9hBZif/DiscoverCard
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Village Power Design Associates
Sustainable Energy & Water Solutions for Home & Village
http://www.villagepower.com
gosolar at villagepower.com

877-SOLARVillage
425 Nimrod St.