Solar near Airports [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Jul 15 15:36:56 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Ray,

The higher the tilt angle, the more likely it could reflect and cause a
problems. Horizontal modules reflect less than water--no problem. The satin
finish on some modules is not a good arguement because not all modules have
them and it doesn't make that much difference. It is an aesthetic treatment
more than power enhancing.

Although PV modules generally reflect less than standard glass, the angle
arguement is much better and more accurate. It seems to me that the biggest
concern for pilot glare is on approach looking down the runway. Modules at
60 degrees or steeper tilt could be a problem for standard rates of descent
if the array reflection is parallel to the flight path.

Also remember where the sun needs to be to cause a reflection. Direction of
runway comes into play as much as anything. If you can show that the sun
never sits in a part of the sky where the reflection from your array can
parallel the flight path, the discussion is over. Have fun.

Bill.