PV combiner box protection [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 24 12:55:18 PDT 2004

Get a FREE Mortgage Quote from Mortgage War. Simple application
for mortgage information. If you're ready to get a quote click
now!
http://click.topica.com/caacneLbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Good thoughts about existing poorly wired systems. I'm sure there will
be many posts about it. This post is about using QO breakers with 12
volt systems. My experience is that the plug in breakers do not maintain
good contact at 12v. I lived with a number of QO breakers and different
load centers on my original 12 v system and I was constantly having to
unplug and replug the breakers (or at least push them around a lot, it
became a daily habit) to keep the contact adequate. Maybe a good dose of
anti-ox would help?

QOU feed through breakers (with screw lugs on both ends) are of course
OK but don't fit the cheap standard load centers.

Brad

Solar Ray wrote:

> Hi Phil;
>
> All I can tell you is that many people are not going to be able to
> afford
> your way, and they're going to keep daisy chaining to infinity. I'm
> trying
> to offer a compromise that is safe and reasonable even if its not to
> code.
> 12 volt systems usually aren't to code anyway because so much of the
> equipment( controllers, pumps, etc. are not
> UL listed) What I propose for these compromise systems is a  15 amp QO
> breaker and box at the pole, array wiring with 12 -2 TC, and less than
> 10
> amps total array current per 15 amp breaker. We then bring the combined
> current from the pole into the system with larger wire, again I size for
>
> ampacity and energy savings, not blindly to the 2% rule.(see my previous
>
> posts on wire sizing for watts lost, not voltage)
>   In poor communities, third world etc. this is light years beyond what
> they are normally doing. I see salvage NMB wire twisted straight around
> battery posts, etc.(no fuses, no controller) I'm not saying all you
> California Grid tie guys should abandon the NEC, I'm just trying to
> bring a
> few of these really dangerous  out there systems under control. If some
> retired person dies in a solar electric related fire, its going to look
> bad
> for all of us regardless of how poorly it was wired .
> Oh as an aside, the non-installer dealers are really contributing to
> these
> unsafe systems, by selling panels and batteries without any design help
> or
> fusing.
>
> Bottom line: some fusing is better than nothing
>
> Ray
>
> PS If we really wanted to take care of the problem, we should push for
> some
> grant funding to go out and bring all these marginal systems into the
> fold
> before something happens. A little TLC now would be cheaper than a
> damage
> control PR campaign.
>
> > >Come on, you're really going to bring
> > > each 50 watt module in a 12 volt system in on a separate wire and
> > > breaker?
> > >
> > > Ray
> >
> >Yes, but not necessarily like you may think.  A 50 watt module = 3 amps
> >at
> >12v.  That means #10 wire is good for about 50-60'.  In a system with
> >less
> >than 2-300 watts of array, I'd consider running separate feeds back to a
> >Square D 6-12 box located at the power system (which could also serve as
> >array disconnect), or 1/4" ABC fuses at the array.  More array than
> >that, or
> >the array run is further than 60'?  Consider adding MPPT.  And if you
> >add
> [...]

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caaclxSbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/OmahaSteaks

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm