DC breakers [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Jun 10 13:21:44 PDT 2004

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqXbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExpertCity

This is a little confusing with the Solar Converter's "DC
autotransformer" installed - but I think the problem is not being caused
by it and is just one of good old ohm's law and basic physics.

The 80 feet of #12 wire has an overall DC resistance of 1.93 ohms per
1000 feet.  So the total DC resistance of the 80 feet is therefore o.154
ohms - so even at 70 amps DC you would get a voltage drop of 70 amp x
0.154 ohm = 10.78 volt and this is not the only losses in the circuit
since end of the 12 gauge wire doesn't end directly onto the battery
terminals and there is resistance in the outlet and the jumper as well.
So I doubt if there is even 70 amps flowing in the fault itself - its
probably mush lower.

So - to really know what is occurring - you need to measure the actual
current flowing in the shorting jumper itself - not the value shown on
the E-meter (which is a combination of what the 24 and 12 vdc sides of
the system are doing).  Also - where the solar converter box is
connected needs to be considered.

I will get 80 feet of #12 wire and a few breakers and will runs some
tests on both power supplies and batteries and will report them here.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems
cfreitas at outbackpower.com
19009 62nd Ave NE
Arlington WA 98223 USA
Tel 360 435 6030
Fax 360 435 6019
www.outbackpower.com

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm