ABC News / AP story on Solar Electric Systems [RE-wrenches]

Graham Owen graham at solarexpert.com
Mon Jun 7 22:01:02 PDT 2004

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaciqTbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ExpertCity

Bill,

I agree, it's great to see these 20 year old PV systems are still
working.  Should provide consumer confidence that the latest state of
the art PV technologies will last even longer. I think it was the bottom
line on the story that bothered me, somewhat: “If I had it to do over, I
think I’d get a windmill.”  If I could install wind power in L.A. I'd
probably use this story to help increase sales.  I am pleased that this
person is sold on renewables.

Below is a link to a news story that blew my mind last week, "Solar
power is clearly considered here to be the poor man's energy source,"

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/article.asp?edition_id=10&categ_id=3&article
_id=4742

Graham

Graham,

I read between the lines and see this a huge success. The fact that any
of those APCC inverters are still operating 20 years later is amazing.
The moron who wrote this story missed the big news. Those units remain
the best engineered inverters on the planet with all do respect to our
current equipment. Today's inverters have an enormous reliability hurdle
to overcome if they want to be in the same ballpark as the APCC units.
They weren't perfect, but they were about 20 years ahead of their time.
It would be nice to see them back in PV some day. Too bad they are
making too much money making PC UPSs (American Power Conversion).

Bill.

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caaciq1bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/UOP

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com