Advice on PV attached to Sarnafil roofing [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu May 13 19:09:45 PDT 2004

Give Your Team Access to Their PCs from Anywhere. Increase
productivity with a secure remote-access solution from
GoToMyPC Pro. Stay in touch with your office. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMVbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ ExpertCity

Paul,

The SIT product appears to be a quality product. I cannot comment on the
long-term stability of the UniSolar product since our testing has just begun
and the long-term degradation of any of the projects under test is really
not the emphasis of a 12-month test.

We had the Sarnafil modules (normally 10' x 40' laminated on Sarnafil
roofing) adhered to the roof using urethane adhesive since it was a TPO
roof. If the roof is already PVC, it could be heat welded to the surface--of
course you need to consult the manufacturer and confirm your roof type.

The laminated process of the UniSolar modules to the Sarnafil roof is very
impressive and well done. It will likely outlive the modules and the
roofing. Although any thin film module does not have the decades of
experience that crystalline modules have, this is probably the least
leap-of-faith of the thin films at this point.

Talk to the folks at Solar Integrated Technologies. They have listed the
module with their roofing lamination process. From a code point of view, the
biggest issue is the fact that the recent code versions have unknowingly
caused some confusion related to integrated systems. The SIT installation
generally do all the wiring under the roof. That is generally the easiest
way to go. The question is how far can you run the conductors before getting
to a disconnect. How do you deenergize modules that are part of the roof?
The only way I know is to use foam. If all the wiring is in metal raceway,
it should not be a fire issue. That is the way the 2005 code will deal with
the wiring issue.

Inverters--talk to SIT. Snow--no worky. Water--no problem. Dirt--may need to
hose it occasionally particularly if there is ponding on the roof. Hope this
helps. I would not discourage your client from using the product with a few
of the experience caveats above.

Bill.