Double Insulated Wire [RE-wrenches]

Robert Warren robertwarren at mail.com
Wed May 12 21:54:27 PDT 2004

Domains as low as $4.95!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caaccM5bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ GoDaddy

Joel,
 I can't speak for the rest of Europe, but in my 3.5 years working in
the UK, double insulated wire is required and used not only for the PV
interconnects, but for both DC and AC runs. MC cable or the equivalent 3
or 4 other brands of DC cables with their own type of quick connects are
used for the runs through the roof jack into the attic to the DC
disconnect switch (often placed, inconveniently, it the attic, since
the smaller living spaces don't leave many choices for an inverter
mounting location over there). They also use MC wire from the disconnect
over to the inverter (also usually placed in the attic, or "loft", as
they call it). They don't use conduit as a general rule, and
consequently, even the incoming service panels, meters, and associated
wiring looks like hell, like a barn that was wired in the 30's. Even in
commercial buildings, they use open trays for wire tying cables rather
than running conduit, but they do have conduit. I just never saw it used
very much.
I like the fact that they can use MC connectors going into the
inverters, as then the installers don't have to open up an inverter to
install it. They also have double insulated AC wiring with a 4 prong
locking connector for hooking up the AC to the inverter.
 As for your second question, they have a different type of double
insulated 2 conductor cable over there, and it really has 2 layers of
insulation around the pair of insulated pair of wires. So it is actually
triple insulated, and is quite good quality. I don't remember what it is
called, but it would be marked CE, not UL, anyway.
 From your questions, I asssume you have a non-US project?
Robert Warren
http://caribbean-solar.com/

joeldavidson at earthlink.net wrote:

> Two questions to Wrenches with European installation experience:
>
> 1. Is double insulated wire required for all PV system wiring or just
> the > solar module interconnects?
>
> 2. Is 2-wire Tray Cable (TC) with 2 single-insulated wires within an
> insulation jacket considered "double insulated"?

Did you know that there is a pollution free, completely
renewable fuel which you can use right now in your own car?
Don't replace the engine, replace the fuel.
Check out my website on making your own fuel:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com
robertwarren at mail.com

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMSbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ ExpertCity

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm