EMT through attic? [RE-wrenches]

Dan Rice danrice at scinternet.net
Mon May 3 16:18:28 PDT 2004

Empower your Team with Remote Access. GoToMyPC Pro
provides your organization with instant remote access to
email,files, applications and network resources in real
time. FREE TRIAL:
http://click.topica.com/caaccMSbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ ExpertCity

Nick,

I'm assuming that what you would like to run through the attic are the PV
"output circuit" conductors from a roof-mounted PV array. NEC 690.14(C)(1)
requires the PV disconnect be installed "at a readily accessible location
either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of
entrance of the system conductors." In the absence of a readily accessible
attic space (inside nearest the point of entrance.) to mount a disconnect,
PV conductors are usually run on the outside of the building to a
ground-level disconnect either on outside of the building or inside close to
where the conduit first enters the building.

The 2005 code proposals include a new section, 690.31(F) that would allow PV
conductors to be run in metal raceways and enclosures inside a building for
an undisclosed distance prior to the first disconnect. The intent is to
address building integrated PV wiring needs, and to do something about the
aesthetics of running conduit all over the outside of buildings. Still,
metallic raceways would be required, so no help there. But unless your AHJ
allows otherwise, your options are limited.

I'm sure that the CA wrenches, and others, will have a less pedantic and
more "real world" perspective to offer. In my limited experience, I've been
allowed to hide PVC conduit inside a non-accessible space behind a roof
soffit trim
board. In New Mexico, for roof-mounted arrays we (almost) always ran the
conductors in conduit attached to the outside of the building (in EMT, but
we won't go there right now).

Dan Rice
Abundant Sun, LLC.