PV buydown policy request [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Wed Apr 28 11:48:59 PDT 2004

Let University of Phoenix make 2004 your year. Evening,
weekend or FlexNet® classes – over 130 locations. Look
into our programs and get the degree that gets you going!
http://click.topica.com/caab6aBbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ UOP

Hay Bob,

I (as you can tell) agree. I also believe that there is another element
to all this that seldom gets discussed in public, and that's the effect
of exaggerated claims made by certain manufacturers, and a lot of
el-Cheapo on-line hit-below-the-belt wholesale to the public
"distributors". Many claims of systems that will "eliminate" power bills
create unrealistic expectations on the part of many consumers, who make
purchases solely on the assumption that they will experience "free"
energy. Spare me.

I know of one wind system installed locally that's a classic case.
Claims were made by BXXXXX that, according to the owner, their "10" kW
system would produce $4,000. to $6,000. off-set a year in our wind
regime of 10 to 11 MPH yearly average. Those of you in the wind end of
things will immediately know what a joke this is. The turbine in
question doesn't even begin generating noticeable power until over 9
MPH. Do the math! They received a $600.00 reduction on their $9,000.
yearly electric bill as a result of the wind production from a system
that cost the owner $60,000.0 Yikes! A 100 year payback hardly seems
worth the effort. ;-)

This is the sort of thing that cries for production-based incentives!
The manufacturer, who happens to enjoy high name recognition and wields
heavy influence in the arena of small windpower, claims in writing that
an 11 MPH site is adequate to yield enough energy from their equipment
to be financially viable. Un-said is what the windspeed distribution has
to be. A 10.5 MPH site that blows 10.5 ALL the time with very few high
winds is possible. Wow. This is like a 10 k PV system installed under
shade cloth; it costs the same to put in but will never produce enough
to pay for itself in a normal life cycle.

I was asked to install one of these same turbines at a site that just
plain sucked. It maybe had an 8 average, so I suggested that they return
it to the manufacturer (the same one involved the case above, by the
way) for a refund, or that we could try and locate a buyer for it. I
suggested that a 10 k PV system would produce plenty of energy to take
care of their needs and proposed such a system. The manufacturer had
sold them the turbine and tower after having "looked at a windmap" of
the area. They wouldn't take it back! This whole thing turned into a big
mess with the neighbors, the county and lawyers - not because of not
enough wind, but because of the intransigence of the manu. And the ego
of the buyer! The buyer hired some newbie solar outfit to install the
machine after they told him that he had "plenty" of wind at his site
from one site visit on a 15 MPH day. More reasons for production
incentives!

There should be some mechanism that provides interest-free financing,
providing that the system produces within a given set of parameters; if
not, then the owner should be charged the going interest rate or be
given the opportunity to rectify the problem through recourse from their
installer, the retailer and, eventually, the manufacturer. This would
encourage responsible design and installation throughout the industry
and provide more energy to the grid per dollar of investment. Or maybe
not! :-)

Matt T