more thoughts on Fire department questions [RE-wrenches]

Matt Lafferty mlafferty at universalenergies.com
Mon Apr 19 08:31:51 PDT 2004

MORTGAGE / REFINANCE RATES ARE LOW. ACT NOW!
3 Mortgage brokers compete for your business.
Great rates, no obligation, and easy form.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aabz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Insurance4usa.com

All:

A gigantic difference between Hot Water Panels and PV is that, when a Fire
Department accesses a roof and sees "Solar", they are expecting it to be
full of water.  (Whether or not it is... Well, that depends on the system,
but that's what they expect...)  If the structure is on fire or they are
trying to prevent spreading of adjacent flames, they often put an axe to the
panels for a little "extra water on the fire"....

Unless it is raining really, really hard, (or a plumber ran the conduit)
they won't be gettin' much water out of a PV Array now will they?

I hate to bring it up here in such a public way, but it must be addressed
and understood by all of us.  (Manufacturers pay attention!)

The National Fire Protection Association writes Codes and Standards for a
lot more than just the NEC!  The State Fire Marshall sets the minimum
standards for their state.  Local jurisdictions then "add to" these minimums
based on their own "needs".  They see PV as a "potential source of
ignition", not just a "shock hazard".  I don't believe I've ever seen that
posted or acknowledged here before.  I'm not sure how many of us have
thought about it from that perspective before...  Since their standard "Hot
Stick" doesn't detect whether or not the PV is energized, they must also
deal with the "shock hazard" for personnel.  A "double-whammy" that we can't
poo-poo and must contend with... Straight up and soon!

In the case of roof-mounts, there are a couple of things that affect the
rating of the roof.  Joel D is correct, occupancy and construction type are
some of them.  What the Industry needs to understand is that the NFPA and
any Fire Official is always going to take the "most conservative approach"
to creating a Code, Standard, or Local Requirement.

They are actively engaged in the process of establishing protocol and
standards that will affect each and every one of us, whether or not we work
on roofs.  I expect there to be more accessibility lane & placarding
requirements at a minimum.  Possibly in large dimensions and "Dayglow" in
color!  I've already heard some pretty outlandish placarding stuff from a
certain "North of San Francisco City".... 36" access lanes around the
perimeter of arrays seems to be a spreading requirement.  How many systems
"won't be able to be installed" if you lose that roof space?  Building
Departments are routing permits through FD's more and more frequently in
areas that haven't already faced and established their own local policies.

Be especially aware of this when dealing with Churches, Medical (including
nursing homes), Schools, Mid / Hi-Rise, and "Public Gathering" types of
places....

Roofing Materials Classifications are a UL, not an NFPA, listing.  In order
to receive a Class "X" rating, they are subjected to torturous flame testing
and must survive without igniting or spreading the flames for a minimum
period of time.  The longer they "survive", the better their rating.  This
ain't no "Bic Lighter Test"!  In the case of PV, it must also "fail to a
safe condition" meaning that it doesn't expose "electrically energized"
parts.  It is my understanding that they only apply the flame to the "front"
of the module for this test... That may change as this pocess develops....
Stay tuned!

When it comes to an ember or piece of flaming material lying between a roof
surface and the back of a conventional Tedlar-backed module, all of a sudden
the "picture changes".... Is that a Class C or Class A roofing surface below
the PV?  Can "energized parts" all of a sudden become exposed?
Considerations for "how to prevent that from happening" might be a good
thing for us to think about, moving forward.

The GE Gecko product is one that is designed to prevent this.  Its fire
rating is based on the actual roofing material below the array.  This is one
way to deal with it.... So far at least.  (Not an endorsement... Just an
observation...)

I have thought that a skirting of 3/8 - 1/2" metal hardware cloth around the
perimeter of array sections would minimize the ember-trapping potential,
while still allowing drainage and venting.  It would also allow easier
"picking up the sticks and leaves" around those arrays that are subject to
seasonal "defoliation".  It also prevents rodents and birds from nesting
beneath the glass.  It would be quick to install and easy to notch around
conduits extending outward.

As long as the roof penetrations are properly sealed, I don't see most
jurisdictions judging this to alter the Fire Rating of the roofing material.
It's more of a UBC / Inspector Judgement thing related to "leakage
potential" than anything.  Same as it always was...

As tempting as it is, I do NOT recommend running down to your local FD
half-crazed (or fully-crazed for that matter... lol) with indignation if
these things start to come up in your area.  We have enough differences in
"local practices" to deal with.  I do recommend faxing and e-mailing a copy
of any locally encountered issues to your Supplier and Manufacturers,
including Rack Manufacturers.  The issues always end up being dealt with by
us in the field, but just like with Module and Rack Grounding, we need to
make it "The Manufacturers' Problem" or else we don't get the support we
need.  Plain and Simple!  I think they've proven that to us for years.

Find out what the "hang-up points" are, find out "what's the best way to
approach this" from sources (like the good ol' Wrenches list....) that have
or are dealing with them, then return with a reasonable & appropriately
presented case.... That's a case of doughnuts and coffee (Physically
separated by a moisture-proof barrier... Bonding requirements dependent on
enclosure...), by the way... Unless you are in Utah, in which case you
should forget the coffee and good luck finding doughnuts from what I hear!

I'll leave it at that for now... It's only just beginning the process of
taking on a widespread shape.  How long it takes and "what shape it will end
up being" is anybody's guess right now.  Meanwhile, mind your P's & Q's,
think ahead, don't start any fires up on any roofs, and don't go
electrocutin' nobody!

Peace and Sunshine!

Matt Lafferty
Universal Energies Institute
mlafferty at universalenergies.com
(916) 422-9772
(916) 628-7694 Cell
(916) 914-2247 Fax
www.universalenergies.com

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab8K7bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ College Info

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com