wire... data wire that is.... and the code [RE-wrenches]

John Berdner jberdner at sma-america.com
Fri Apr 16 14:22:55 PDT 2004

Sign up to get FREE information from leading colleges!
Compare degrees, admissions, financial aid and more.
Study your career education options at
Collegeinformation.info.
http://click.topica.com/caab8K7bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ College Info

Geoff:

Several potential issues here.

If you combine data and power wiring in the same conduit or raceway the
voltage rating of the insulation on the wire needs to be equal to the
highest voltage in the raceway. Most data wiring is rated at 300 Volts
so you can use it int eh ac raceway but not in the dc raceway.  Also,
you are no allowed to terminate or splice the data cable in the same
raceway as the power cabling.
If you run it over a drop ceiling then you have to check to see if the
space above the ceiling is used as a plenum of the HVAC system, i.e. the
sapce is used as the return side of the HVAC ducting.  If yes, then the
data cable must be plenum rated.

There is a tech note on our web site for the 485 converter.
There are lots of them out there but this is one we know works.
Stay away from the port (RS-485) powered ones because the data rate for
only a couple inverters is too low to keep the converter powered.
This is why the one we suggest has a separate power supply.

Try a Google search for "USB to 485 converter" and you will find lots
of them.
All seem to be around $100 to $125.00

ONE CRITICAL POINT
Do NOT attempt to update firmware in an SBC product using a USB to 232
or USB to 485 converter.
It will hose the firmware and then it will need to come home for
reprogramming.

Best Regards,

John Berdner

>>> Geoff at Third-Sun.Com 4/16/2004 12:51:28 PM >>>

Ray - keep your head in that NEC book a wee bit longer... and anyone
else
chime in with experience or advice:

I plan on using the sunny boy 485 card to talk directly to a computer.
So I
need shielded, twisted (double) pair. Any issues with this wire going
from
an AC and high voltage DC enclosure and then traveling in dropped
ceilings
and across desks to the back of a computer? Can I run it with the AC
output
(say in conduit in a trench) into the building, then jump out of a 4 x
4 box
to be on it's merry way toward the computer as the electrons dance
toward
the main panel? I assume the first concern is insulating jacket rated
for
high voltage - but is this kosher in general?

ALSO - Any cheap source and price for the required RS232-485 adapter?
(and
probably a 9 pin to USB adapter too as SMA stuff seems to be in 9 pin
and
the computer industry seems to be in USB...

Two ears of corn and a chunk of concrete for everyone (Cheers to Matt
from
OH)

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License
Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25