Outback Inverters [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Wed Apr 14 22:40:01 PDT 2004

$6.95 .com Domain Name Sale!
Limited Time! ICANN Accredited GoDaddy!
http://click.topica.com/caab8Lhbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ GoDaddy

>But the DCC & DCA adapters make it look so cool...

Yea they do look cool, but how come your boxes fit brand  X's inverter
better than their own stuff, but not your own stuff? Are there some other
advantages besides the "Men in Black" good looks?

> > Twice now I have actually seen over the PV nameplate
> > rating wattage being put into the batteries.
>
>Swwwweeeeettt ;) Getting power above the rating of the array makes cold
>weather not so bad...

Which begs a tangential question of the NEC, isn't 156% ampacity a little
heavy handed when we're all jumping up and down over 105% of rating?
It seems that the only times we would see even slightly over the rated
output its so damn cold that the wire ampacity rating (in table 310.16
which doesn't go below 21degC) gets increased. I think a multiplier that
takes in site conditions would be more appropriate.  say 5 to 10% over
the  array rating then the 25% for the wire: a total of 132% to 138%
multiplier for array wire sizing would still be plenty safe and might save
some serious copper. Its funny how we throw Derating multipliers in to
predict actual array output, but when we're sizing the wire its the other
way around. AANNND... with new  MPPT controllers like the MX60, array
currents are actually even lower than ever, since max output current is at
least 10% less than short circuit current on your average module.
I know, I know I've had my head in the code book too long this week .....
sorry.

Ray

Your opinion counts! We’re conducting a survey for a
computer service/repair company. When you complete our
survey, you will also be entered into a drawing for one of
ten $100 prizes. Just click
http://click.topica.com/caab8K4bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Val Rad
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm