Grounded for two weeks...hopefully longer [RE-wrenches]

Brad Bassett bsbassett at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 08:57:11 PST 2004

MORTGAGE / REFINANCE RATES ARE LOW. ACT NOW!
3 Mortgage brokers compete for your business.
Great rates, no obligation, and easy form.
http://click.topica.com/caab6aabz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Insurance4usa.com

Confirmed this morning that both the GBL4-DB and GBL4-DBT have a SS
screw in them.

Brad

Brad Bassett wrote:

> GBL-4  = Aluminum with plated screw, indoor rated
> GBL-4DB = Copper with ss screw (I thought!), outdoor rated. Supplied
> with some kits, as mentioned in other posts.
> GBL-4DBT = Tinned copper with ss screw and expensive as mentioned here.
> I think John W. likes this one because of the potential for corrosion
> between copper and aluminum with the copper lug.
>
> I would think that with a ss washer between the copper lug and the
> module frame that you are no worse off than copper wire to tinned lug to
>
> module frame? Need to check about the ss screw in the lug though.
>
> Brad
> AEE
>

> Marco wrote:
> >

> > I dunno what most of you are doing for grounding modules, but I wanted
> > share my observation of what happens to an Ilsco-brand GBL-4DB ground
> > lug
> > (the type where it's easy to simply lay in a bare CU wire) after it's
> > been
> > in the rainy Hilo environment for two years.  The screw has rusted big
> > time.
> > If one tried to extract it, the screw would crumble.
> > Yikes...Apparently,
> > the ground lug to use is the Ilsco GBL-4DBT which is a copper alloy with

> > SS screw.  I just got a price from my supplier: $3.94 per lug!  Ouch.
> > And,
> > to perhaps state the obvious, you gotta also use a SS screw to attach
> > the
> > lug onto the module frame.  Those zinc-plated puppies also rust
> > something
> > awful.

Brad Bassett
AEE

**** Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! ****
Discover Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up
handfuls. It's the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing
desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab593bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm