inverter shoot-out at high noon [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Fri Mar 26 18:16:30 PST 2004

**** Bounces like rubber! Shatters like ceramic! ****
Discover Crazy Aaron's Thinking Putty in grown up
handfuls. It's the creativity unleashing, mood enhancing
desk toy!
http://click.topica.com/caab4CEbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ Crazy Aaron Enterprises

Graham,

The test of an inverter has some parallels to a vehicle, but I think it is
actually simpler in many ways. A PV module is probably a more complex thing
to characterize and model, and David King at Sandia and others have done a
pretty good job of nailing that down (with 500 coefficients). There are
basic operational issues that anyone designing a PV system needs to know
about a PV inverter. Those issues include:
1. the dc and ac voltage range of the inverter at full power
2. the temperature/power foldback characteristics of the inverter at
elevated temperatures
3. the power foldback at enhanced irradiance conditions
4. the efficiency curve of the inverter at several different dc and ac
voltages
5. the maximum power point tracking effectiveness on partially cloudy,
sunny, and cloudy days

Using one array or even a dozen sites to provide this characterization will
probably still leave some of these parameters untested. Much of this
information is now fairly well understood about PV-series Xantrex inverters
and SMA SunnyBoy inverters because we have a large experience base with
these inverters. The key now is how do we learn about all the other new
grid-connected inverters entering the market when it is unlikely that any
one of these inverters will enjoy the market share that Xantrex and SMA now
enjoy. The learning curve is far too long to sit back and wait for guiney
pig installers to run out there, try an  inverter, and then report back the
Wrenches list whether they like it or not. There has to be a more
straightforward method of getting to the correct answer. This protocol does
a nice job of gathering a lot of the data that is needed.

Does it solve all the information needs on inverters--of course not. And no
one thing ever will. But it is tremendously better than flying blind--which
anyone who tries a new inverter is absolutely doing. As I tell my students
all the time, if you are putting a new, unfielded inverter on a customer's
site, they better be understanding folks, and the site better be close to
your shop so you can babysit it. Otherwise, put it on your own shop or house
and live with it for six months before making any decisions on whether to
start installing it.

Bill.