EMT - UL Heads Up [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Mar 15 20:15:19 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi y'All,
I performed some repairs on PVC conduit that I installed in daylight 15
years ago. I don't know if it was Carlon. It shattered like glass when
torqued. The new stuff may be different.

cul  deant

William Miller wrote:

> At 02:58 PM 3/15/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Yes, the City of San Diego outlawed EMT without the appropriate fittings
>> some time ago.  They recommend PVC or rigid.  PVC exposed to sunlight
>> for 20
>> years -- yeah, right.
>

> Colleagues:
>
> Following up on the PVC issue:  I spoke to a representative from
> Carlon some time ago about UV resistance.  Apparently it doesn't say
> that on the pipe for no reason.  Any UV discoloration of PVC is only a
> few microns thick.  It does not compromise the structural integrity of
> the product in any way.  I'd actually like to have PVC on my roof for
> 20 years over EMT (especially in any marine proximity).  Remember,
> beauty is only skin deep, but rust can go all the way through!
>
> William
>
> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org