RE Financing, Follow-up Request [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Mar 8 21:34:01 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi Allen,
Least cost of funds drives finance decision making.

For most homeowners and small business the lowest rate is their savings
account or money market fund. Next is Home equity financing/ This
combines low rates with interest deductions. End of Story.

The Renewable Energy Salesman needs to have a finance plan as a part of
the proposal to "Close the Sale". I use the EGIA unsecured loan program
a component of the "Bundled" sale. Having a complete financed package
helps the client DECIDE  to purchase a renewable energy system, (or a
HumVee if that is what He wants).   After considering the rates, costs
etc. most clients will choose the least cost of funds to actually
finance the purchase. There is not much of a story there.

The story is in "Bundling".

cul  deant

Allan Sindelar wrote:

>Fellow RE folks,
>Several months ago I posted to the Wrenches list looking for resources to
>investigate regarding RE financing. This was for a proposed Home Power
>article on this subject. The essence of the original request is:
>

>"For as long as we-end users, installing dealers, and Home Power-have been
>working to encourage the use of renewable energy, obtaining financing has
>remained a barrier in many instances. Mortgages for off-grid homes have been
>notoriously difficult to obtain, and financing options for system upgrades
>have been unavailable to all but the people who don't need financing. Now we
>also have need for financing for grid-tied systems on existing homes.
>
>I have talked with a private mortgage broker about collaborating on a
>proposed Home Power article about financing of home-scale renewable energy.
>I envision an article that is an overview of the various ways to find the
>money for RE projects. The broker would focus on how the lending process
>works, how off-grid and other types of atypical properties are handled, how
>to find and work with a lender, etc.
>
>I have also been aware of two options for financing PV systems themselves,
>as distinct from mortgage financing. This would serve, for example,
>homeowners who want to install a grid-tied PV system on their home.
>
>I am looking for information about financing options and resources of all
>kinds that you may know about, anecdotes, success and horror stories, and
>anything related that would help the article to be as comprehensive as
>possible. In particular, I could use more grid-tied resources, as we're not
>in a state with incentives."
>

>The article has been completed and submitted, and HP likes it. I remain
>dissatisfied with the part on financing RE systems, separate from a
>mortgage. All of the resources that Wrenches suggested were either 1) local,
>2) commercial only, 3) lessors, or 4) mortgage-related. I would like to be
>able to describe other sources beside the Permaculture Credit Union that
>want to finance RE and other sustainable projects, and that will serve end
>users all over the US.
>
>Maybe the PCU is alone in this mission. But this is a second request for
>other financing resources to include in the HP article.
>
>Thank you for any good suggestions.
>
>Allan at Positive Energy
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org