60hz to 50hz [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Thu Feb 12 15:24:17 PST 2004

You can run a 50hz motor on 60 hz, just runs faster. The 240 vac may be
OK with the 220 vac rated motor but to be safe drop the voltage with a
simple buck transformer. Buy a 50 watt buck/boost transformer 120/240
primary with 12/24 secondary and follow the instructions to wire it as a
240 to 216 v buck transformer if the SW puts out 240 vac.

A simple power resistor (heater) in series with the motor could also add
voltage drop so that the motor only saw 220 vac. 20-30 ohm resistor
rated at 30 watts.

David Blittersdorf

NRG Systems, Inc.
110 Commerce Street