ground source and hydronic cooling recommendation [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Mon Feb 9 20:49:09 PST 2004

<x-flowed>
Hi Kurt,
You are headed in the right direction.
With the pond you can use a water to water heat pump.
There are cheap commercial units used in big buildings with a zone in
each office.
Tetco, Hydroheat, Florida Heat Pump and Waterfurnace all make water to
water units that are quite good. If you are concerned about sludging
(mud and debris)  the heat exchanger they all have designs for HDPE pond
loop heat exchangers that work quite well. It is easy to overheat a
small pond, but half acre if deep enough will do nicely for a house. Do
check the manufacutrer guidlines for pond loop systems.
Edwards was offline for about six months, but Tom Delinger at Tetco
bought Edwards and has reorganized the company. He really knows this
stuff and has been very helpful with projects I have brought to him in
the last year. Western Nevada Supply has access to Hydroheat and Tetco
products, and should also help you with the HDPE pipe and fittings
needed for the pond loop. Let me know if they canot help you. I still
have a Hydroheat binder but the whole package is at
http://www.hydrodelta.com/main.shtml
and the Tetco stuff is at
http://www.geoproducts.com/ .

cul  deant

Kurt Albershardt wrote:

> --On Sunday, February 08, 2004 11:49 PM -0800 "Dean T. Newberry"
> <deant at dcn.org> wrote:
>

>> Take a class in ground source heat pump systems.
>> in Oklahoma the IGSHPA classes are the best.
>> Most GSHP manufacturers also have classes, check out waterfurnace,
>> hydroheat and florida heat pump for their class schedules.
>

> Will do, thanks.
>

>> I would stay with AC, Invensys Radiant ceilings or Valance convectors
>> from Edwards Engineering in all but the driest climates.
>

> Edwards' site was offline for awhile but I notice it's back now.  I
> think Reno probably qualifies as dry.
>
> There's a half-acre pond adjoining the house--what about vapor
> compression A/C with a marine-style condenser?  Maybe gas absorption
> with prechilled return water?
>
> - - - -

> List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

> Hosted by Home Power magazine

* Cooperative Community Energy* 	*Dean T. Newberry*

430 D Street, Davis CA, 95616
Tel: 530 758-6064
Fax: 530 758-3684
Email: deant at dcn.org