transformer inrush [RE-wrenches]

sunwise sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Jan 5 20:03:52 PST 2004

Hey Kirk and Mark,

I would re-wire what the electricians did and not have the transformer
in there 24/7.  Not that big a deal, just another sub-panel and such.
Also, consider wiring in a 240vac, 30 amp, 2P2T power relay on the pump.
This would leave the pump on the utility and allow it to become a
"critical load" only in the event of a utility power failure.

Bob-O turned me on to this in the past.  You also put in a second
pressure switch on the pump and set both its low pressure cut-in set
point and its high pressure cut out voltage lower than the pressure
switch/settings currently on the pump.  Use this pressure switch to
supply the 120vac/primary side of the transformer who's output is wire
to the pump through the 2P2T transfer relay.

Perhaps pull all the 240vac out of the mains panel, give them their own
sub-panel, and jumper across the two hot lugs in the mains panel to give
120 of the same leg to all breakers.  Also post notice on the panel
cover inside and out saying that it is "120vac only".  The same
transformer can be used to supply the 240 in the above mentioned
scenario.

If the effluent pump is also a 240vac load, I have used another relay to
keep both the well pump and the effluent pump from running at the same
time (over current).  The best way to go with this is to have the
effluent pump not come on until the well pump is satisfied (another 2P2T
relay).  While most septic systems have approximate 200 gallons of
reserve when the E-pump comes on, and it is unlikely that the well pump
will continue to run that long without allowing the E-pump to come on,
over-filling the tank should not be an issue.  However being a worrying
solar bozo I have utilized the output from the "tank alert" alarm signal
(code on most tank systems) to keep the well pump from overfilling the
septic/holding tank.

I have done a lot of whole house systems to date and have only done one
dual inverter system ever.  Up here in northern Wisconsin we usually
have a budget issue.  We just have to make it work, often with
mod-square and often with a few power relays.  These relays are very
reliable and fairly inexpensive.

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions