new wire for array wiring? [RE-wrenches]

Dean T. Newberry deant at dcn.org
Sun Dec 12 23:18:55 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Hello Jeffery and William,
We also tiewrap the pigtails under the modules where they are
"protected" from physical damage, and transition with a J box to a wire
for the drop. The difference is we always use emt or rigid instead of
PVC Sched 40 or 80 for the DC cover down to the DC disconnect. The
reason is that we have reports from the field that the inverters supply
significant Radio Frequency Interference on the DC leads from the roof,
and we want to shield our neighbors from the RFI. We also tend to use
only XHHW-2 for field wiring, it is rated for direct sunlight, and in
the conduit. If that is what we have on the truck that's what will be
used and it meets requirements for both conditions. I have gotten the
building inspectors to look for and accept a grounded bushing for the
transition from the J box to the roof as a method of maintining ground
integrity from the array to the conduit. We use a conduit sealant to
slow down the water as it gets into the piping. Another method is to put
the bottom of the DC disconnect below the bottom of the inverter so any
water that gets into the drop drains out of the disconnect which is not
sealed instead of into the inverter which is sealed. ( I have drained a
lot of water from inverters which were still operating)  We also
invested in a crimper to add MC connectors to the  XHHW-2 instead of
cutting and wirenutting to the pigtails. We bought it directly form
Daniels for a little less than from MC.

There was an old thread on the RFI, maybe someone else has the relevant
text.

cul deant

--

Dean T. Newberry
Marketing and Sales

Quantum Energy Group
256 Applegate School Road
Applegate, Ca. 95703

Tel: 530 878-4585
Fax: 530 878-6685
Cel: 530 867-2392

deant at dcn.org
http://www.talbottsolar.com/
http://mjdsolar.com/

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com