Meanwell Inverters (was DC to DC converters) [RE-wrenches]

John Raynes john at raynes.com
Fri Dec 3 07:28:13 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Chris,

I was never considering them for residential systems, don't worry, Outback
rules. ;-)  Thanks for your comments, helpful as always.

My interest has more to do with offering very small low power inverter
setups for people wanting to run a panel or two with a pair of T105s.  Most
of these I wouldn't even classify as cabin systems, they're more like a
semi-portable power setup.  A lot of times the inverter is only used
occasionally, they're primarily running DC.  They come to me to buy the
whole setup, and I have no problem outfitting them with everything except
the inverter.

I don't expect to compete head for head with the $39.95 Wal-fart or tool
liquidator specials, and my customers don't expect me to.  My problem
always seems to be that, any product I can get my hands on in the very low
end range, (either mod sine or pure sine) I can't get anyone to vouch for
the fact that they're going to last more than a few days.  So sometimes I
end up recommending that they're just as well off to take their chances
with El Cheapo brand inverters, and come to me later when they're ready to
spend at least $400-$500 or more and move up to something with a name
behind it.  I hate to walk away from a sale, but...  At least they probably
won't spend much on their initial attempt, and I make sure their
expectations are in line with what they're likely to encounter.

I'm always curious as to wrenches' feedback on the really small, less
expensive units that we can buy through distribs, but I never hear too much
here.

John Raynes
RE Solar
Torrey UT

At 01:35 AM 12/3/04 +0000, you wrote:
>I have seen these "Mean-Well" inverters and have the following notes on
>them...
>
>The 600 watt version has an idle of 10 watts and no search mode.  Surge
>is listed at 800 watts.  They show a UL listing but its under the UL458
>category - for RVs / Boats not residential systems.   There is no
>provisions for conduit on the DC and AC side.  Over voltage shutdown is
>at 15 vdc which is an issue for unsealed batteries with temp comp.
>
>The 1500 watt version has an idle of 12 watts but has a search mode.
>Surge is listed at 2000W.  They are also listed under UL458 and have no
>conduit provision either.
>
>So - I think they are an option for RVs and cabin systems but not for
>homes etc.
>
>Christopher Freitas
>OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
>cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
>www.outbackpower.com
>Arlington WA USA
>Tel 360 435 6030

Win a Lexus RX330! Class and beauty rolled up in an SUV! Drive
your family this winter in style. Make it yours! Click below and
sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl3bz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Vente

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php