Battery explosion [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Thu Dec 2 15:40:28 PST 2004

Attention Women! Win a $50,000 Ultimate Makeover! Become the
newest “Hottie” on the block. Or use the $50,000 how you wish.
Make it yours below!
http://click.topica.com/caacVl6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Vente

Hey Randy;

That's a scary story. How big was the battery? Was it sealed or unsealed?
The only battery I ever had blow, was a golf cart battery on a golf cart.
Those carts often are unfused and a combination of a dead short and a loose
battery terminal connection caused the lead terminal to melt into a blob
then into the plastic case where it ignited the hydrogen. After a few
exciting hydrogen fired seconds it was over.  A friend siliconed up the
hole and kept using the battery.
Your account sounds much more dangerous. I can't believe 300 milliamps
could blow anything up, are you sure it was due to overcharging and not an
extremely high rate of discharge? I've heard of internal battery shorts
that create so much heat in so little time that the case blows.

Ray

>After having a battery explode in a solar gate opener control box when the
>gate was left unused for several weeks with a 5 watt uncontrolled PV
>module, I now always install a small charge controller.  The SunGuard is
>cheap insurance and peace of mind.
>
>Happy Holidays,
>
>Randy Brooks

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacVmdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com