DC plugs and outlets [RE-wrenches]

Kurt Nelson sunwise at cheqnet.net
Mon Nov 22 07:08:10 PST 2004

Claim your fully stuffed Christmas Stocking now
http://click.topica.com/caacQ4Sbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

From: Jay Peltz, Peltz Power [mailto:jay at asis.com]

Hi Kurt,

I'm curious what loads you would be running to require two voltages at a
single outlet?

Hey Jay,

I don't have situations or loads that "require" two voltages at a single
outlet, but while thinking about using a DC plug such as the 15 amp
240vac I got to wondering why not.  I have various DC applications,
usually in smaller systems.  At one cabin it may be 12 volt and at
another home down the road it may be a 24 volt system.  I also have some
24 volt systems where the home owner wants 12VDC and therefore may have
both voltages.

I of course don't want 120vac cords plugged into a DC outlet but would
also not want a 12 volt appliance plugged into a 24 volt outlet.  The
15A, 240vac outlet/plug has two horizontal current carrying prongs and
the standard ground pin as well.  You can't plug 120vac into it and so I
suggested calling (for instance) the right horizontal pin 12V+ and the
grounding pin the negative.  In the instance where 24VDC is required,
the left and ground would be utilized.  I further stated that a 10/3
wire could even give both voltages at such an outlet.

While there is a greater need for 12VDC outlets in smaller PV systems, I
do have systems that are 24VDC but there are some LED night-lites,
perhaps a circulating fan, or more frequently an outlet for a small
clock radio, an answering machine, or a place to plug in a cell phone.

With a 24 volt outlet and perhaps an answering machine or small clock
radio, these appliances are often 9.5 volt.  I bolt the tab of a small
1A voltage regulator (with negative tab) on to the ground/negative
connection inside the plug and wire the 11-35 V-in of the regulator to
the 24V+ of the plug and the 9.5V+ output of the regulator to the cord
going to the 9.5V load.  This all takes place inside the bake-lite plug
and is very clean.  You can even get a small fuse in there to protect
the smaller appliance line, but in my tests if you short circuit the
cord or coaxial power plug at the appliance and there is no fuse, the $2
voltage regulator fails open and current flow stops.

Kurt Nelson

Win a Lexus RX330! Class and beauty rolled up in an SUV! Drive
your family this winter in style. Make it yours! Click below and
sign up now!
http://click.topica.com/caacR6Obz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Vente

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php