Battery Cycle Life Ratings [RE-wrenches]

Bruce Geddes b.geddes at clear.net.nz
Tue Nov 2 00:34:52 PST 2004

Your Neighbors will envy your Garden when you get 100 bulbs on us
http://click.topica.com/caacOlwbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/PermissionData

My (older) Trojan brochure states T105 500-600 cycles to 80% DOD.  L16
600-700 cycles.  The traction cells I use (Exide) are rated at 1500 cycles
to 80% and practical field experience tends to bear this out.

I guess part of the problem is cycle life and DOD are non-linear so the 10%
or so most solar batteries would be subjected to can be difficult to compare
to the heavier cycle figures.

Ambient temperature also has a big influence and this may be where some of
you guys are getting widely varying results from the same batteries.

At the end of the day it comes down to lead.  The more of it per Ah, the
longer the battery life.

Bruce Geddes
PowerOn