Battery Cycle Life Ratings [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin solar at ecoisp.com
Sun Oct 31 15:31:38 PST 2004

>Get 4 Free low-fat, low-carb recipes
>http://click.topica.com/caacNoLbz8Qcscfm4Owa/PermissionData
>
>Drake,
>
>What kind of cycle DOD do your customers put these cells through? I am very
>curious why my experience would be so radically different from yours.

Two recent systems that I serviced with dead L 16s were Y2K systems that
were not really used,

One person did cycle his down once a month.  I believe he went down 50% of
the theoretical amp hours.

I think that is both cases, an individual battery would go bad in the
series sets and then take the rest with it.  If closer track of the
batteries were kept, likely a majority of the bank would have lasted longer
by replacing a few batteries.   In one case we tried to revive the bank
with EDTA.  It did bring over half the batteries up to barely usable.

>One negative of smaller amp hour batteries means more paralleled series
>strings,
>which can also lead to difficulties.

True.  I have used bus bars, which might be the answer.  Bigger batteries
for big banks is certainly the way to go.

Drake

>Todd
>

>Drake Chamberlin wrote:
>
> > My experience supports the superiority of golf cart batteries.   The T-
> > 105s and T-125s seem to be much better than the L -16s.  The  10 year rated
> > L -16s, in my experience seldom last longer than 5 years, while many of the
> > 5 year rated T - 105s and 125s go close to 10 years.
> >
> > I don't recommend L - 16s to customers any more.  I've gone to the Surrette
> > line.
> >
> > -Drake
>
>Your free subscription is supported by today's sponsor:
>Your Neighbors will envy your Garden when you get 100 bulbs on us
>http://click.topica.com/caacNoJbz8Qcscfm4Owf/PermissionData
>
>- - - -
>
>Archive of previous messages: http://lists.topica.com/lists/RE-wrenches/read
>
>List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php
>
>Check out participant bios: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/
>
>Hosted by Home Power magazine

Are you serious about buying a NEW car or truck soon?
Research before stepping on the car lot and save THOUSANDS!
Get NO OBLIGATION price quotes from car dealers in your area.
http://click.topica.com/caacKOVbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/LeadClick

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquette.php

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com