PV Trackers [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Oldham starpower4u at juno.com
Thu Sep 16 09:16:12 PDT 2004

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacBBFbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/ChildrenInternational

I've been using a Wattsun for about 8 years now after replacing 2 Zomeworks that drove me nuts w/wake-up issues (I LOVE the stick idea posted here!). It dumps it's controller about every 18 months. As mentioned here customer service at Wattsun is about as good as it gets and there is a 10 yr. warranty on the controller. I'm a gear head and like my tracker and all it's hassles. However, I NEVER sell any trackers to customers anymore, period. In 90% of the cases it comes back to bite me in the butt. In over 25 years of twisting wires I've only had one customer not want to talk to me anymore, it was over his trackers. I admit we pushed the technology too far in trying to track 320 degrees up in Alaska. It has been a few years now and I'm happy to say we are on great terms again.

I heard the best rationale for not using trackers at an ASES conf. 3-4 years ago - our industry likes to call system life at 30 years (pretty low in my mind), how many trackers will you go through over than 30 years? 2, 3? You will certainly not be on the original! This blows the up-front economic seduction out the window. On top of that you had 30 years of headaches. We have energy sytems that can have no moving parts, why in the world would you want to throw a wrench into the elegance?!

>From the Solar, Wind and Hydro powered office of Jeff Oldham

Should School Prayer be mandatory? Give us your opinion and win.
http://click.topica.com/caacDvTbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/PermissionData

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com