Flexible Cables: Important Safety Issue [RE-wrenches]

Ray Walters ray at solarray.com
Fri Aug 27 11:21:12 PDT 2004

Save up to 80% on Inkjet & Toner Supplies. 100% Satisfaction
Guarantee. Free Shipping on orders over $49. www.inksoutlet.com
http://click.topica.com/caacAsfbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Inksoutlet

Just to get this excellent topic back into the tech only realm, Let's talk
strand count. I posted previously that I was using a 133 strand at 2/0
battery cable that is SAE rated.
I see from my sources that welding cable has 1323 strands at 2/0.  Thats
way too fine IMHO.
Some THHN 2/0 I just counted my self has only 19 strands. Obviously that is
way too stiff.
What is the Cobra 2/0 strand count?
BTW, that THHN was just pulled out of an otherwise first class install
because its resistance at the crimp connector was so high it was dropping
10 volts on a 24 volt system. Other symptoms included bent battery
terminals, batteries pushed out of alignment, and cracked insulation. This
was a complete system failure (no usable power in or out) and THHN in the
battery compartment was the culprit.
I'm sticking to the 133 strand stuff. I use a UL listed standard lug from
DC wire that is identical to the Trace inverter cable lugs. I have 4
different crimpers, but my current favorite is a handle style that was
designed exclusively for the standard lugs (part#990065). I have pull
tested this crimp (hitched it to my pickup, I was born in Oklahoma), and
the cable itself starts pulling apart first.

Ray Walters
ray at solarray.com
President, SolarRay, Inc.
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer
BS Mechanical Engineering, UT Austin 88
Returned US Peace Corps Volunteer

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgobz8Qcsbz9JC9f/ChildrenInternational

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com