Uni-Solar Triple Junction Performance [RE-wrenches]

Geoff Greenfield Geoff at Third-Sun.Com
Wed Aug 11 08:30:33 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacvgpbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Wrenches,
Does anyone have degradation data for Uni-Solar Triple Junction solar
modules or panels in use for more than 4 years? Thanks in advance.
Joel Davidson

UNI-SOLAR: better than possible!

No degradation... they get better with time!  There is no high voltage "burn
in period".  They are shade tolerant.  (Shade doesn't even affect them!)
They are not heat sensitive (They even put out more power in high heat)....
and they can take bullet holes with no problem.  Did I say they will last
forever?  and thin film is less expensive that all other technologies.
Oh... and if you care about the environment they have much lower embodied
energy without glass aluminum and by their thin-film nature.  Oh... and the
overall installed cost is lower cause they don't need any racking... you
just glue them down (or shingle them) and you are done.

Phew... thanks list - I feel a lot better after that bit of therapy...  by
the way - At least a few of these often heard claims are true, and some are
based on partial truths... but man am I fed up with the generally distorted
notions floating around out there.  These things have their role - I am
typing this out under a grid tied 4 Kw glue down job that was a pleasure to
install and looks like, well, like there's no solar on the roof, just an
indigo patch on an otherwise green metal roof.

I attended the ASES conference in Portland (from the wrench ready
"Utili-kilts" at the Orygun country fair to the suitz-n-ties of ASES... what
a contrast)... anyway they were practically canonizing Stan Ovshinski (sp)
the man behind the company...  they all love him there and love the product
and the technology...  I just don't get it.  Now if the cost part were to
really come true I might pay more attention (although It would be a stretch
to get me excited about wiring up 6 Kw of 17 watt shingles).

Ok... rant over - and I don't have any degradation data, but I think their
warranty is pro-rated 80%.

Sincerely,

Geoff Greenfield
NABCEP Certified Solar PV Installer TM
GLREA Certified Photovoltaic Systems Integrator/Installer License Number
0211-01

THIRD SUN SOLAR AND WIND POWER Ltd.
340 West State Street, Unit 25
Athens, OH 45701

Phone (740) 597-3111
Fax   (740) 597-1548

www.third-sun.com

--

---
Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacvgubz8Qcsbz9JC9f/411Web

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com