MX 60 for wind [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Thu Jul 29 16:29:38 PDT 2004

Save up to 67% on Omaha Steaks + Get 6 FREE Burgers and a
FREE Cutlery Set + Cutting Board!
http://click.topica.com/caacpgjbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/OmahaSteaks

Jeff Clearwater, Village Power Design wrote:
> But I remember a conversation with Chris F. at EO
> a few years back where it seemed like the MX60
> could be set up in a diversion mode.  I also
> have 35 amps of PV to regulate too however.  I
> could put the PVs on a MX60 and then the wind
> would be covered

The MX60 can be used to provide control of a diversion load - either AC
or DC loads can controlled.  You need to add the diversion control
device - either a normal relay or (preferably) a solid state relay.  The
MX60 provides a 12vdc output signal to power the relay's coil - so you
don't need anything other than a typical 12 vdc coil type relay even if
the system is 24 or 48 vdc nominal.

Solid state type relays can be switched much faster than mechanical
relays - so the "smoothness" of the diversion control is better (i.e.
the power is PWM'd). When using solid state relays you need to set the
on/off time delays  in the MX60's diversion system setpoints to zero.
Solid state relays can be ordered for either AC or DC loads and need to
be mounted on a heatsink.  I usually suggest the Eurotherm / continental
brand of solid state relays -
http://www.ciicontrols.com/products/svdd.htm - which will handle up to
100 vdc and 40 amps per device (you can have more than one controlled by
a MX60 for larger systems).

The OutBack FX inverter can also provide a diversion output control
signal (it also is a 12vdc signal).  It also has an AC diversion mode
setting in which the diversion load is turned off if the inverter gets
too hot or hits its overload limits.  This was suggested by Bob-O of
Electron Connection as he was using the FX to dump hydro output to his
electric water heater and had an issue when the well pump would start,
causing the inverter to current limit and flicker the output
momentarily.  With the new AC diversion mode,  the dump load would be
turned off instantly when the motor started - eliminating the flicker.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/411Web

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com