PVUSA rating vs. CEC rating [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billb at endecon.com
Thu Jul 29 12:10:22 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Jay,

It has always been based on manufacturers data alone (just like inverter
efficiency), which provides an additional disincentive for the manufacturers
to tell the truth (as if they needed one--my cynicism showing through). As
long as the module meets the minimum spec, or nobody is looking, it gets the
rating. With the amount of money that is exchanging hands on these issues,
it is unlikely that "nobody is looking" for much longer.

As systems reach their 5-year end of warranty mark, we are going to see a
big interest from consumers to verify that their system is still within
warranty. The CEC warranty requires 90% of initial performance--if you have
no idea what initial performance is, how do you know what 90% is??? You
can't use the CEC rating, we have already shown that it is at least 5% too
high to start with.

Equations of the day:	System performance = X (an unknown)

				min. sys. performance = 0.9X = Y (another unknown)

Solve for Y without X -- impossible.