144vdc charging [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas --- OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Jul 19 20:32:51 PDT 2004

Amazing Diet Patch
http://click.topica.com/caacoW6bz8Qcsbz9JC9a/MyDietPatches

Robert Warren wrote:
> I do question the idea of Outback charge controllers in series,
> though.

We actually already have several similar 120 vdc systems up and running.
 One is a solar electric system located on a offshore island near
Boston.  Another system in Hawaii has a 120 VDC system for a bike
tunnel.  A third 120 vdc system which has been up for a year now is at a
mountaintop telcom site.

In all of these systems we used two MX60s with two 60 vdc battery banks
and two 72 vdc PV arrays.  There are a few tricks involved (the MOVs
need to be removed from one of the MX60s).  We had some issues
originally with using the MX60 controllers with 60 vdc batteries - but
with the help of a local NY wrench got it figured out and solved.

The key point to consider is that the MX60 controllers don't really know
its a high voltage system - each has its own battery and PV array to
charge from.  Just don't hook them up to a HUB as the ground of one unit
is at the positive battery voltage level of the other controller.
Careful consideration of the breaker arrangement and labelling also
needs to be completed as it can be very confusing if you are not real
clear on what is going on.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas @ outbackpower.com
www.outbackpower.com
Arlington WA USA
Tel 360 435 6030

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today – APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgwbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/DiscoverCard

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm