144vdc charging [RE-wrenches]

Matt Tritt solarone at charter.net
Fri Jul 16 12:48:47 PDT 2004

Get a Great Credit Card for You Today
You can find a credit card to fit your credit needs.
All types of credit cards -- 0% APRs, Rewards, & Bad Credit.
http://click.topica.com/caacpgdbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/411Web

Nick,

First question: If there is no restriction on the number of modules you can
use, this must be an aircraft carrier, right?

Just kidding, but you also term this vessel a mini-ship. If it's actually
mini, how will you find the room I'm sure you'll find necessary to mount all
those panels without adding so much windage that it might as well be a mini
sailing ship? Propelling a hull through the water requires a certain,
unavoidable amount of energy to overcome drag and wind forces. I bet that
you can convert this resistance/drag to Watts (through some formula I'm not
familiar with) and size the array to provide that amount plus enough
residual energy to keep the batteries charged, but you will need a very long
waterline to beam ratio (narrow) to make the boat very easily driven. Fat
boats are slow boats that take more energy to move at a similar speed.

A 30', well designed sail hull requires about 25 HP to push it through flat
water @ about 5.5 kts/hr (less if it also has a very narrow beam), so you're
going to need a LOT of solar panels for a ship; small or not. Remember the
displacement required to carry all those batteries!

Happy sailing

Matt T