Any small Turbines worth Installing? ( was small rooftop windturbine) [RE-

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed Jun 2 12:41:49 PDT 2004

Apply now for a No-Annual-Fee Discover® Platinum Card
0% Intro APR*, No Annual Fee, Up to 2% Cashback Bonus®
award* Start Saving Today – APPLY NOW! It's fast, easy and
secure.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqQbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Discover Card

Jeremy,

Your wind regime may be much stronger than mine so my suggestion might not
be of any value to you.  What we have done, with success so far, is to turn
the controller up to 30 volts or higher.  We don't often get days with many
hours of 20+ mph winds.  So on the infrequent days that we do we equalize
the batteries AND keep the turbine out of "slow mode" for long periods of
time.  From my understanding its long periods in "slow mode" that heat up
the stator and lead to the premature failure.

Some of obvious problems with this idea are
-Strong wind regimes would require frequent battery watering or even better
some sort of automatic system.
-Gel's and AGM can't be done this way
-small flooded packs could possibly boil out dry and be damaged in just a
few hours
-large flooded packs, if not maintained properly, could also dry out in just
one windy day

The main place we have XL.1 are seldom used cabin/hunting lodge type
systems, with large 2 volt packs that we visit more often than the owners so
we have some control over maintenance.

But I think you're right that it's probably just better to use a dump load.

Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services, Inc.