Satellite TV- power consumption. [RE-wrenches]

Tom Elliot, Guffey Energy Works telliot at wagonmaker.com
Tue Jun 1 10:49:56 PDT 2004

Sponsor a child today through Children International.
Give a desperately poor child hope for a brighter future.
For only $18 a month you can make a difference!
http://click.topica.com/caaciqSbz8Qcsbz9JC9a/Children's Int'l

Ray,

That's fascinating about the DirecTV systems.  I run a Dish network
satellite TV setup and I have no problems at all with losing any setup.  I
can power down the system for weeks and not have a problem getting back on.
One thing it might be rather than internal programming is that the system
loses its authorization over time.  The Dish folks explained to me that they
periodically refresh the authorization for my unit as part of the signal,
say every week or at the beginning of each month.  It basically tells my
system that it can receive the channels I've signed up for.  When I'm gone
for a few weeks and the system is unpowered, when I return I often get a
message that I don't have authorization to view a particular channel (or all
channels).  If I leave the system on for a while (generally just 15 minutes
or less) the authorization is received and I'm back in business.  That may
be what your customer is experiencing and it might be worth a call to
DirecTV to find out how they manage their authorizations.

Tom

Hi All;

I just got back from a project with a satellite TV setup (Direct TV ). I
had advised the customer to unplug the unit when not using it since it had
a 30 watt draw on or "off". She began losing programing and when she called
tech support at Direct TV, they told her to never under any circumstances
unplug the unit or she would lose all her programming. She had left the
unit on for a couple of weeks, and the extra draw (720 watt hours/ day)
finally caught up with the batteries. I told her to unplug it anyway, and
that I would talk to tech support. I have a similar setup with direct TV
and never had any problems. Is this a new issue for us to tackle? 720 watt
hours is a decent sized fridge worth of power, surely there is a solution.
I'm glad to hear the Internet setups are working well.

Ray

Buy Stocks and Index Funds for just $4 No Account or
Investment Minimums and No Inactivity Fees Automatically
invest weekly or monthly and build your future.
http://click.topica.com/caaciqZbz8Qcsbz9JC9f/Sharebuilder

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com